Diminished Reality: The World is a cleaner, scarier place


I remember thinking that augmented reality was the neatest thing, and I have to admit that diminished reality is another cool development in real-time video alteration.

If you have never heard of diminished reality, it is technology developed by a team of researchers at Technische Universitat Ilmenau in Germany, and it is probably the antonym of augmented reality.

So what is it? Diminished reality is technology that can remove selected objects from video recordings, in real-time. I have a video of it after the jump so you can see it in action.

See in the picture how the stapler, phone, and other assorted office supplies just vanish from the desktop there? Now imagine the camera moving to the left and right, and those objects are still gone.

Believe it or not, it was as easy as circling this object on a screen, and then begin filming. There are a lot of examples of it on film, and you may notice that the area where things have been removed is slightly blurry, like a Romulan cloaking device.

I don’t know about you, but I am a little skeptical about technology that makes things invisible in real-time. I suppose that makes Live newscasts selective of what they can show, but that may not be a good thing. I don’t know why I always see new technology in a dystopian sense.

Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change your bike’s gears, with your mind

Wi-Fi Connected Power Strip

iMM514 ArtStation Pro